Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Staright People Shouldn't Be Allowed To Get MARRIED!


So, we hear a lot about equal rights in terms of marriage these days and I thought I would weigh in on the subject, Lord knows, I always have something to say about everything. Not only do I think that Gay couples should be able to get married, I'm starting to think maybe they ought to be the only ones...

The longer I am married (going on three years now) the less impressed I am with the whole concept. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband, he's a wonderful man, but marriage between a man and a woman? How is that really supposed to work? Never mind the obvious differences between the two sexes, or should I say, species?! Come on, you know sometimes it feels that way! The whole 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus' thing - not an urban legend....

I think my biggest beef with a traditional marriage between a man and a woman, is that the whole thing is based on some very sexist ideas. I mean, lets start at the beginning, the vows. ' I now pronounce you MAN and wife' not off to a very good start here.

Moving right along to the name. When a man and a woman get married it is naturally assumed that the woman will take the man's name. I know, you love the guy and you want to take his name, blah blah blah - what a crock! Chances are you've been walking around with your name and your identity for some twenty or so years by the time you get hitched, and giving that up IS a sacrifice! Unless of course you are in a position to upgrade from some God awful name that is neither spelled nor pronounced properly by the larger part of civilization, then hey, if you can score a 'Brown' or a 'Miller' have at it! I just think it should be a choice, not an unspoken implication. Now if a gay couple were to get married, there would be no such assumptions....I'm just saying.

Then, of course, there is the whole who's going to carry the baby for nine months and follow it up with hours of labor, before shooting the baby out from their most vulnerable body part. I know this is a stretch, but bare with me for a second. I hear it all the time from my guy - 'Let me stay home with the baby! I would love to be a stay at home dad!' Give me a break. Most men wouldn't last a day doing what we women do. Men may work hard all day long, but when they punch out for the day, they are done. Mom's don't clock out, and even when it doesn't look like we are working (we may even look like we are sleeping) we are on call 24/7 and can be back at work in a moment's notice. There are no scheduled breaks,no weekends or paid holidays, and you can forget about paid overtime. So, based purely on biology it's a clear cut choice - women have the children. Now supposing the relationship was made up of two women, or no women! I'd like to think there would be room for some discussion....

Look, I am not anti-love, just anti- marriage. I think it's wonderful and romantic to want to profess your undying love to that special person. It's NOT romantic to be tied to someone for life by LAW. Because that my dears, includes your finances, your credit, your taxes, etc. Basically any important decision you will ever make, will require two signatures from the moment you make it official. And I'm thinking it's only fair that EVERY couple committed to spending their lives together and building a home and family should have to deal with the consequences of that decision. Hey, fair is fair. And as far as I can see, the gay divorce rate will be considerably lower than what we straight people have been able to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment